SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING BEST PRACTICES
Since the rise and boom of Facebook in 2012, social media has become the home of many. People tend to use social media platforms 24/7 for various reasons. As a result of this, many other social media platforms have evolved such as; Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Pinterest, Snapchat, Skype, etc. With all these, social media has become a very important market with many openings.
However, in order to use social media to grow your business and impose your presence effectively, you’ll need to make use of best practices in carrying out marketing using the social media.
Steps to Follow for Effective Social Media Marketing
1. SET A GOAL/OBJECTIVE
Firstly and most importantly, you should have an objective to complete in mind. Your objective must be SMART and aligned with your company’s overall goal. Note that using social media for marketing, you can accomplish many objectives leading to the completion of your overall marketing goal.
2.SELECT THE RIGHT NETWORK
- Facebook; is the largest with over 2 billion users and is very reliable for awareness, lead generation, customer relationship building and community management.It is the most used tool for social media marketing.
- LinkedIn; is a professional platform for B2B and B2C transactions. It’s good in creating trust, building authority and engaging audience. It’s also good in improving your skills by connecting with people in the same sphere as you.
- Twitter; is a micro blogging platform, good for short messaging and immediacy. It is good for businesses with audience less than 50 and is ideal for time-sensitive information.
- Pinterest; is a fantastic social media platform for businesses with visual appeal for it’s a photo sharing platform. It is good for businesses like; photography, art, events, fashion, restaurant, etc.
- Snapchat; is a short ephemeral story telling platform. Its good for photo, video sharing and has visually appealing effects on the photos and users.
3. COME UP WITH A STRATEGY
First of all define your goal/objective. Then you need a strategy [plan] on how to work and guide you through out the media journey. You could start a team with well defined roles and responsibilities. Teamwork lead to better growth. Above all, fix your posting frequency and create a content calendar. These things should be well defined in your strategy for it is your way to digital success.
4. CREATE CONTENT WITH YOUR AUDIENCE IN MIND
Noteworthy; your social presence is for your audience [customers, clients, prospects] Therefore, every content you publish must be quality and relevant to your audience. Thus your content should be based on their needs and interests.
Finally, to have engaging content; prioritize images, videos, and other visual content cause these are popular among all audiences.
5. CHOOSE TOOLS TO AUTOMATE POSTS
Noteworthy; staying active in social media requires time and dedication. Marketing automation, certainly permit your marketing action to be scheduled for later dates.
Hence tools that permit you automate in social media include; Hootsuite, Buffer, Sprout Social, BuzzSumo. The use of any of these platform probably save you time and permit you monitor your network engagement.
6. ACTIVELY ENGAGE WITH YOUR AUDIENCE
Content is the ultimate in social media marketing, but it’s not enough to post and go. Social media is ideal for connection and relationship building. The best way to do this is to engage with your audience. You can successfully engage with your audience via comments, sharing, participating in conversations, sharing user generated content, asking and answering questions, etc.
7. MINIMIZE YOUR SELLING TIME
Even though social selling is a practice in social media, it is recommended to keep selling at 20%. Meanwhile 80% is dedicated to sharing content which meet the needs of your audience. The main use of social media is to drive growth through communication and engagement then selling.
8. MAINTAIN A CONSTANT PRESENCE
Social media is not a one and done deal. It requires time and patience to cultivate the appealing presence. Thus you’ll need to be frequently online to respond to comments, questions and interact with your community.
Consequently, in regards to posting frequency, it depends on the platform. For instance: 11pins a day is magic for Pinterest, 1post a day or 5posts a week is ideal for Facebook and LinkedIn. Meanwhile a post as often as the topic changes is good for Twitter.
9. HAVE A CONSISTENT VOICE WITH YOUR AUDIENCE
Most importantly, every post you make should be in line with your brand, it’s very important for brand building and recognition. Therefore, in order to have a consistent voice with your community, limit the number of persons who post in your social media platforms. This is to ensure a unique and consistent content posting.
10. MONITOR YOUR PRESENCE THROUGH THE RIGHT METRICS
Social media evolves all time and its users increase every hour. Thus it is better to define your goals, know your audience and pick the right platforms based on your goal. Your social media marketing goal maybe to; create awareness, engagement, conversion, drive traffic or sales.
Finally, depending on your objective, choose the right platform which will permit you measure your performance accurately.